The WBN is run by a volunteer board of up to 13 directors. The commitment necessary to successfully serve the WBN membership is approximately 10-30 hours/month (depending on the position) fulfilling the duties of the role including attendance at monthly and special board meetings throughout the year, and attendance at membership meetings from September through June.
Additionally, directors MUST be email and computer savvy as this is a progressive organization that relies heavily on communication and technology for efficiency.
The following WBN Documents are being posted (update after April 2020 meeting)
for Members to review prior to May 27th, 2020, AGM:
Updated documents for member review of entire fiscal year:
- WBN AGM Meeting Minutes – May 27, 2020
- 2020-06-30 WBN Balance Sheet Previous Year Comparison
- 2019-20 WBN Profit & Loss Previous Year Comparison
- 2019-20 WBN Profit & Loss Budget Performance
Documents presented at the 2019/2020 AGM:
- WBN Balance Sheet Previous Year Comparison (2019/2020)*
- WBN Profit & Loss Previous Year Comparison (2019/2020)*
- WBN Profit & Loss Budget Performance (2019/2020)*
- WBN AGM Meeting Minutes for reference (2018/2019)
*Please note: these financial statements are posted for your review only and do not encompass a full fiscal year which ends in June 2020; these are only a year-to-date to the end of April 2020 and will be presented as they are at the AGM.
Constitutionally, WBN Board of Director positions commence July 1st each year and each Board Director term runs for two consecutive years.
Board Nominees will be applying to serve on the WBN Board from July 1, 2020, through to June 30, 2022.
Newly Elected WBN Board members will be expected to attend monthly board meetings and a Strategic Planning session in May/June of 2020, as a means of transitioning into the role with your predecessor.
Nominations for 2020-2022 Board of Directors
The WBN received the following nominations:
- Sarah Susnar
- Samantha Crowley
The nominees were presented to the membership at the AGM. The eligibility of all nominees was validated according to our constitution and bylaws.
Note that a nomination is to the Board, not to a specific position. However, there is an opportunity to list first and second choices on the nomination form. We endeavour to match the skill set to the position. This is an excellent opportunity to become involved with the operations of the Network.
The deadline for Board Nomination submissions is April 15, 2020
Please contact the Past President, Tracey Ormond, for more information on becoming a board member via email pastpresident atttt womensbusinessnetwork dotttt net.
Due to a need for more board members, President Danielle McIver put a call out to all members to consider joining the board. As a result of that, nominations were received from the following members:
- Kellie Bonnici
- Heather Doughty
- Mercedez Nucaro
These members were deemed to have met the eligibility requirements and were voted onto the board by the existing board.
Details on available positions for the 2021-2023 Board of Directors will be posted here in the first quarter of 2021.
WBN Constitution, Article 5. Board of Directors:
- Eight to thirteen elected members shall constitute the Board, at the discretion of the current Board.
- The Board shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting, shall serve a two-year term and shall not be eligible for re-election for more than two consecutive terms, with the exception of the President and Past President. Nominations and elections shall be conducted in accordance with By-Law 7.
- The Board shall meet monthly to formulate plans, elect the Officers, and decide all purposes and procedures of the Network.
- The Officers may appoint a network member to fill a Board position that has become vacant. Such appointment shall expire at the next Annual General Meeting (or after the June Strategic Planning Meeting). An exception may be made if a vacancy occurs during the Network year in the office of President, in which case the Vice President may succeed to the office of President.
- Directors must be Network members in good standing for the duration of their term.
Bylaw 7A. Nominations:
- The current Board may appoint a Nominating Committee, chaired by the Past President, who shall present a slate of nominees to the membership a minimum of ten days in advance of the Annual General Meeting. Such notice shall be posted on the Network website and distributed to the membership.
- Any single member, or the named member of record for a Corporate Membership, who is currently a member in good standing and who meets the board requirements as set out in the WBN board policy document. Nominees must sign a completed current nomination form, which must be submitted to the Past President by April 15th.
- Any current Director who is completing their current two-year term may submit a new nomination form by April 15th to stand for re-election to the Board as per Article 5.2.
Bylaw 7B. Elections:
- At the Annual General Meeting, the slate of nominees shall be presented to the membership for election.
- When more nominations than vacancies exist the elections shall be by secret ballot and the nominees receiving the most votes shall be declared elected. Votes are to be counted by scrutineers appointed by the Past President.
- In the event, the number of nominees equals the number of vacancies the slate will be presented in a motion by the Past President and voted on as a whole. A show of hands from a two-thirds majority of the members present shall constitute a pass of the motion.
- Each membership is entitled to one vote and proxy votes will not be accepted.
Depending on the number of nominations received, the election may take place by secret ballot with the nominees receiving the most votes will be declared elected. In order for you to make an informed decision, please read each nominee’s submitted biography in the box to the right. Their skills and experience will help you to determine the best fit with the demands of the various positions.
Remember, elections are to the Board as a whole, not to specific positions. The WBN officers will appoint each elected member to the position they are most interested in assuming and qualified for.
If you have any questions about the positions, how the board operates, or anything else regarding governance, the president atttt womensbusinessnetwork dotttt net or the pastpresident atttt womensbusinessnetwork dotttt net are more than happy to help you.