Making Your WBN Membership Work For You
By Lorie Gill
When you become a WBN member, you tap into a support network that helps you feel connected, informed and ready to thrive professionally and personally. You get practical advice and access to tools, mentors and experts through a mix of online and live events.
Pabloa Picasso once said that “action is the foundational key to all success.” This says to me that we hold the power to our own successes, and if we don’t take action, how can we expect to succeed? So how can you make your WBN Membership work for you, whether you have an Individual or Corporate Membership? Be sure to take action and use the WBN resources that are at your disposal. Here are five ways you can derive value from your membership.
- Update your WBN profile: It’s easy to do. Log into the WBN website by using your email and passcode (if you’ve forgotten the passcode, request a reset). Go to your Account and click “Edit My Account,” then update your bio and add a photo. Let people know who you are and what you do! Adding a photo makes it easier for newer members to pick you out in a crowd if they would like to connect with you. There’s even a spot to add your social media links too so members can connect with you via your website or on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Get involved: Sign up to be on a committee, or be a greeter or facilitator at one of our meetings. Ask your Board of Directors for a list of committees that you could volunteer on. You can also host a Business Spotlight Event where you put your business front and centre with an evening dedicated for your business at your business. If you have a knack for writing, sign up to write an article for our monthly newsletter, or post an ad or video in our monthly newsletter. At our member meetings, you can also give a Twoonie Testimonial, bring a Door Prize, purchase an Exhibitor Table, share five business tips, post on social media… the list goes on!
- Make use of the WBN membership directory: AS a member, you have access to download the entire membership contact list so you can strategically market to this diverse group of women.
- Ask questions: If you’re unsure about something regarding the WBN and your membership, be sure to ask questions. If you’re not sure who to ask, your Board of Directors is your front line for answers and are more than happy to assist you with your membership. Not sure which Board Member to speak with? No worries. Go to the Board of Directors page to see who does what and click on their image to send an email, or simply fill out the contact form on the Contact Us page and someone will reply to you.
- Network and share your story: Each member has joined the WBN for various reasons: to get to know each other and what each other’s business has to offer. You may be surprised to find out who and what services are available in our community.
In summary, use your membership to the fullest as well as the WBN website and other resources to maximize your WBN experience. Remember, you hold the power to make your WBN membership work for you, and in order to do that, you need to take action!
Lorie Gill, GILL Solutions Management
Technical Director, Women’s Business Network of Peterborough